You are here: Home / Association of Friends and Supporters and Foundation

Association of Friends and Supporters and Foundation

Saxon Academy of Sciences in Leipzig
Association of Friends and Supporters and Foundation
Karl-Tauchnitz-Str. 1 
04107 Leipzig
GERMANY

Tel.: +49 341 71153-13
Fax: +49 341 71153-44
sekretariat@saw-leipzig.de

Copyright: Dirk Brzoska

On May 4th, 2005, the Saxon Academy of Sciences in Leipzig (founded 1846) established an Association of Friends and Supporters with the principal aim to be better able to more intensively support its research projects and further the work of younger scholars.

This activity encompasses
1. support for work in public relations
2. in particular, awarding of the Young Scholars’ Prize for doctoral theses in the research fields of the Saxon Academy of Sciences in Leipzig
3. granting of subsidies for printing costs arising in the publication of research findings from the projects of the Academy
4. provision of other possibilities for support for young scientists and scholars such as financing student research assistants in the projects or providing funds to partially cover travel expenses (as when visiting a library to study source materials directly)
5. financial support for colloquia The full member Uwe-Frithjof Haustein and the former Chancellor of the University of Leipzig, Dr. h.c. Peter Gutjahr-Löser were elected as direction of the Association.

Through its members, the Saxon Academy of Sciences brings together virtually all scientific disciplines. It administers high-quality research projects, designed as long-term investigations in the humanities, natural sciences and engineering sciences. Scientists and universities from Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt and Thuringia are significantly involved in these activities and initiatives.

The Association of Friends and Supporters of the Saxon Academy of Sciences decided in March 2008 to award an annual prize for an outstanding scientific work written by younger scientists in the Academy or by external applicants from the geographical area covered by the Saxon Academy of Sciences, with the proviso that their scientific investigation be related to a research area of the Academy.